Sunday, July 17, 2011

Lessons learned so far...

 In my short time as a mommy I have already learned so much. So I don't forget by the time I have my next baby,  here goes...

In true male fashion, Walker is not into having his picture taken!

1. Breastfeeding is hard work, I mean really hard work. OK, so it's finally better, but at first BF was seriously stressful. (At least for me)  I never had any problems with my milk, my issues were more from soreness, and exhaustion. Finally at about 7/8 weeks I was no longer feeling the soreness that made me cringe every time Walker needed to eat. Did you know that when they say babies eat every three hours, its from the start of a feeding? Ugh! (ie. If Walker would eat at 2:00, he would need to eat again at 5:00.) In the first few weeks Walker would take up to 45 minutes to 50 minutes to eat. I felt like all I did was feed him!
2. On that same note, Breastfeeding is an incredibly rewarding/ amazing experience. At Walker's 2 month check up when we saw that he was up to almost 12.5 pounds, I felt so proud that I did that! I was so thankful that I stuck it out, even though many of our feeding sessions in the first few weeks left me in tears! BF is also amazing because of all the bonding time. I want to cry thinking about going back to work and not having so much time to feed and cuddle my little guy.
**Let me also say that I know there are some people who simply can't BF for whatever reason, and I totally understand, but if you can BF, you should. The first few weeks may be awful but don't give up, I promise it gets much, much better!
3. This one is gross, sorry...I never knew I would be so concerned with the frequency, consistency, and color of someone's poop. Ha! Seriously this can be all consuming at first, but gradually becomes less stressful! Oh yeah, on another gross note, if at all possible wait until the very last minute to get dressed when going out in public. This is the best way to avoid going out without spit-up all over you. Seriously, every time I forget to do this it never fails!
4. If you think time goes by fast before you have a baby, just wait. I know I say every week that I can't believe it's already been however long, but seriously can time please slow down!?!? I feel like every morning my baby looks bigger and bigger and I know that it's never going to stop!
5. Everyone and their brother will give you parenting advice while pregnant, but you have to do what is best for you and your baby when he gets here. I'm not big on parenting books because I feel like there are so many different "professional" opinions out there and they all say drastically different things. We take the laid back, go with it approach, and it works perfectly for us!
6. Keep calm and carry on...there have been a few times that I have felt very stressed (mostly dealing with BF as mentioned in #1) When I've been stressed and upset, Walker has felt it and been way more fussy. Sometimes you just gotta take a deep breath and relax!
7. Seeing your spouse with the baby you made is A-Ma-Zing!! Enough said.
8. Holding and cuddling your baby is the best thing ever and makes it 100% ok to put off all other household chores. (Seriously, remember #4).Who cares if the laundry is overflowing?
9. Being a mommy is an unbelievable experience and it really does get better everyday!!

That's all I've got for now...well actually that made me think of one more...

10. If you think pregnancy brain is bad, just wait for "new mommy" brain. Ha!

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I could have written this post myself! Every single thing you wrote is SO true! Especially everything regarding BFing and #7 - it's the best!

Tami said...

I agree with Lyndsey- this post could have come straight from my blog! :) Every bit of it is so true!

Ashley Harrison said...

I've loved seeing you fall in love with that precious little man of yours! You are such an amazing mommy! Walker is one blessed baby!

Courtney said...

This is a cute idea for a post! And your son is just too adorable for words =)