Last week I received a phone call that presented me with an unexpected opportunity, but before I go into everything let me give you some background info...
I've been teaching in my county for about 4 full years (one year I taught in another state.) The jobs in my county are posted on the county website and you have to apply through the site. After the posting goes off line, the principal receives a list of applicant names in order of seniority. The principal must go down the list in order, interviewing and offering the job (if they see fit) based pretty much on how many years the teachers have been teaching. (There are a few other things that factor in like masters degrees, etc.) As you can imagine, as a younger teacher it is very difficult to get a job at a school you really want without waiting until the very last minute before school starts (more senior teachers usually don't want to move by this point). I always look at job postings just to see whats out there. Even though I'm content where I am, occasionally I'll throw my name in the hat if the school is closer to my house.
OK back to the story...
Last week the principal from the school down the street from my house called me about a 4th grade position. I immediately felt torn. I love the people I work with, have a great principal and VP, and the kids I teach are pretty good for the most part.
While there are many negatives about moving schools, the perks could not be overlooked.
Here were some factors in my choice...
1. I'll probably be saving close to $200 in gas a month because of the drive.
2. They will soon begin working on a bridge that I have to cross daily, which will cause me to have to take an alternate, more inconvenient route to work.
3. I can just about see my house from the school.
4. My mom and dad, who will be keeping Walker, live in the same neighborhood as the school so I can quickly run over there for lunch and to feed him.
5. This is the same school Walker will go to. Even though that's a ways off, that will be so much easier when the time comes.
6. With a new baby next year, I know that I will want things to be as easy as possible. Being close to home may help to ease the morning craziness I fully expect to deal with.
7. I also like the fact that I know a lot of people in the community already because of church and growing up in the same town.
8. If there is any reason I have to run to school in the evenings, I could literally walk.
9. I won't have much of a drive if the weather is bad!
I could go on and on with reasons that Blake and I have discussed.
When I applied for that job I never actually expected the principal to call me about it because of the whole seniority thing. I've spent the last week praying about the possibility of moving schools, and prayed for God to show me exactly where he wanted me. I went to the school yesterday and felt so go about accepting the job.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5)
I will greatly miss the teachers at PHE, but right now I know I'm doing what is best for my little family.
I will go ahead and admit that I'm a little overwhelmed when thinking about how I'm going to pack up all my stuff at the end of the year when I will be on maternity leave. I guess I will figure all this out later!
Also, did I mention that is is where I went to elementary school? Kind of crazy how things come back around!



3 comments:
wow Ashley - that sounds too good to pass up! :) what a wonderful thing to find out! Also, from experience, I love teaching at my old elementary school...it's a neat thing! :) Good Luck with your decision.
How exciting for you! Sounds like you made the right choice :)
That's so exciting! I'm so glad you took it and I know it will turn out to be an amazing decision!!
Post a Comment